Recently, it was my husband’s birthday so I put together a little festive dessert for him. Really, some might argue that there aren’t many options for someone who eats organic and has 33 food sensitivities including gluten, eggs and dairy, but you might be surprised what a few mangoes, some hazelnuts and coconuts can do… This raw mango tart came out refreshing and delicious, leaving everyone begging for more! Plus, it doesn’t require any baking and it can be prepared in only 20 minutes!
Many people love the flavor of tropical fruits like coconut and mangoes. But have you ever wondered if they also have long term health benefits, aside from tasting good?
A mango fruit contains half of recommended daily allowance of both Vitamin A and Vitamin C, as well as some B-Vitamins, beta-carotene and omega-3 fatty acids. Its high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C help lower cholesterol levels, specifically LDL (bad cholesterol) while its tartaric acid, malic acid, and a trace of citric acid help to maintain the body alkalinity.
As you are getting wiser about your health, you’ll realize that coconuts are one of the most healthy and amazing foods you can eat. Not only that coconuts contain fat, but they contain saturated fat. Due to the mass hysteria and wide spread misinformation most people still think that saturated fats are bad. However, we should be more concerned about processed trans fats, than about naturally occurring saturated fats. The human body needs fat to exist. Fat is part of our cell membranes, it’s used for energy, protects our organs and makes critical vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin D available to us. And plant based fats are water soluble and more compatible with our bodies when compared to animal fats. So don’t be afraid of good fats!
Not only that this tart recipe makes a great choice for a delicious desserts, but it can even make a great nutritious breakfast to kick start your busy morning!
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 ½ cups raw organic hazelnuts, whole
- ½ cup raw organic shredded coconut, extra fine cut
- 1 TBSP raw organic coconut butter (different than coconut oil)
- 2 tsp organic lemon zest
- 1 TBSP raw organic honey
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan salt
Ingredients for the cream:
- 3 organic mangoes, cubed
- ¾ cup raw organic coconut butter
- ⅓ cup raw organic honey
- 2 TBSP organic lemon juice
- 1 TBSP organic vanilla
- ⅛ tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 oz organic dark chocolate , shredded
Hazelnut Crust Preparation:
- Place hazelnuts, shredded coconut and salt in the food processor until turns into a fine meal.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it starts to clump together.
- Remove from the processor and press it very firmly into a 9” springform pan or a tart pan with a removable bottom to make the crust.
- Place it in the freezer for 10 minutes or until the cream is ready.
Raw Mango Cream and Tart Preparation:
- Place all cream ingredients in the food processor and blend together until smooth and creamy.
- Take out the pan with tart shell from the freezer and with a spatula fill up with the cream.
- Cover the pan and put in the fridge for about 5 hours or so.
- Once it’s set, remove the cover and add shredded dark chocolate to cover the surface.
Serves 8 to 10.